These magnificent carvings probably date from the late 12th Century, or early 13th Century. They were found on the Isle of Lewis at Uig bay sometime before 11th April 1831 and 83 were sold in Edinburgh in by Roderick Pirie and T.A. Forrest. Later 11 pieces were bought by Charles Kirkpatrick Sharpe from T.A. Forrest and this division remains to this day as the collection of 83 reside with the British Museum and 11 have found a home with the Museum of Scotland.